Saturday, June 12, 2010

Conflict Resolution

Situation:
Manny, my employee of 2 years has recently has recently experienced a slump in his performance. He has been with the company for two years and we are now receiving complaints about his job performance both internal and external. Manny is obviously unhappy as his behavior is also creating a hostile workplace environment.
In order to correct Manny’s behavior and improve his behavior I must address it. The following is how I as a manager would approach my employee and what techniques I would use. The “Six Steps to Successful Interpersonal Conflict Resolution” (Cahan and Abigail, 2007)

1. Preparation: Identify your problem/needs/issues
2. Tell the person “We need to talk.
3. Interpersonal confrontation: Talk to the other person about your problem.
4. Consider your partner’s point of view: Listen, empathize, and respond with understanding.
5. Resolve the problem: Make a mutually satisfying agreement.
6. Follow up on the solution: Set a time limit for reevaluation.

I would begin by gathering my facts on Manny’s performance and who has complained about him for what reason. If there are numerous complaints and I can categorize them I will. I would then determine what it was that was the root cause of the complaints. Was it that he was rude? Didn’t follow through with the initial issue? Did something else happen? I would gather my facts so that I had an accurate picture of what the problem was both internal and external.
Once I have gathered the facts I would ask for an independent party to participate in case the situation were to escalate. I would tell Manny that we need to talk because of the numerous complaints that I have received and give him a “heads up.” Hitting someone cold is not productive for either party. I would give them as much information as possible so he could come to the meeting prepared and try to keep him from becoming defensive from the outset.
I want to understand why Manny’s behavior has changed. I will ask him questions that will promote his open communication. Are there some external problems that are causing him to be agitated with his fellow workers and customers?
I would listen to what is the root cause of his problem. Once I understand what the problem is I will work with Manny to help him over his temporary crisis but I will not tolerate his abuse of co-workers and customers. For example if someone in his family has a terminal illness and he needed additional time to devote to them I would rearrange his workload to accommodate him until the crisis was over. Depending on what his response was I would reassign his workload so that he would have less contact or maybe does not want to comply I would put him on a Performance Improvement Plan (PIP) and tell him his behavior and attitude are unacceptable and if they are not changed for the better that he could face disciplinary action and possible termination.
I would identify what he needs to accomplish and specific dates and if his performance has not improved I would clearly communicate to him what my expectations are and what I expect of him. If his performance is not corrected the end result will be termination. Have him sign the agreement so that he acknowledges that you are working with him to prevent litigation.
Resource
Cahn & Abigail (2007) Managing Conflict Through Communication. (3rd ed.) Pearson Education Inc: Allyn and Bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment